Daystate air ranger tuning power

This is the area to talk about issues you are having with your Airgun, or MODS that you have questions about. Or something that has worked well that you would like to share with the other members.

Moderators: 220swift, Killer-B, MarvC, Sentryfe

Lykoris
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Daystate air ranger tuning power

Postby Lykoris » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 pm

this won't increase your air ranger dramatically in power but it can be handy to adjust into a smaller specific power range, my AR80 is tuned to 60fpe. I cut the coils of the main spring of the AR80 to drop it significantly(cut the coils as small as you can) and then played with this to fine tune.

the variation between the hammer striker being fully extended(to within 3/4 threads) and being fully retracted was 8-9fpe from memory...nothing dramatic.

If you are happy with your AR, I advise not to touch it and leave it alone.

I had to do mine as at 80fpe(version I bought) it was simply too much power for the .25 30.7grain extra heavy barracuda and putting the barrel back on with equal pressure on all 6 screws and the band without drooping or putting undue tension on one part is a real PITA.

I would also warn that the screw threads are easily worn so with all those cautions, proceed at your own risk, if you screw up your rifle don't come running to me.

one air ranger

1/16 allen key to remove the three screws on barrel band, either side of band and underneath ( I leave the band on as it's easier to support the barrel when removing the 6 screws below)

be sure not to misplace one of them as they are minuscule

remove the 6 screws - left to right I used a torx10/flathead/2.5mm allen key - the threads are easily worn so take your time, these might not be the right ones for 'new' screws, mine are badly worn and looked for the best fit to avoid further stress...I guess they are aluminium.

remove barrel and barrel band

remove the stock - 3/16allen key

down to this

2 screws to remove from either side, 1/16allen key, be sure to hold it tightly as it's under spring tension

this needs to be removed to get to the hammer striker - 3/32 allen key

when you put this back into the rifle when you reassemble you will need to pull the trigger to allow it slide back in.

unscrew this to allow the adjustment of the hammer striker 5/64 allen key

1/8 allen key to adjust the hammer striker

power increase, move hammer striker in.

power decrease, move hammer striker out as can be seen below I've moved it out 2/3 threads just to illustrate.

measurements I'd been asked about before

Not up to Stuart's quality but it gives those that had asked me this a better idea.

Regards,
Paul

220swift
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby 220swift » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:49 pm

Very nice
thanks for sharing and taking the time to put together

Swift :mosh: :mosh: :mosh:
Swift
rapid technician
tuning mild to wild
custom parts made to order
swiftairgunparts@sbcglobal.net

dirtdawg2
Basic Practical
Basic Practical

Postby dirtdawg2 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm

Excellent!

This should be in the DOC...but those blokes would neva have it :D

pod
Marksman
Marksman

Postby pod » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Great stuff Paul.

Unfortunately we couldn't have this on the DOC as our laws (and potential laws) are so strict :(

Its pretty much the same on all UK forums - power adjustment details are not readily available.

Its really frustrating as under our laws, a non FAC (sub 12ftlbs) air rifle must always remain below 12 ftlbs and it is the owners responsibility to keep it so. And there is no defence in law. Yet we are restricted on posting details on helping people keep below the limit, as there will always be a handful of people who will use the info to put their rifles above the limit.

My understanding is that the UK 'government' have already advised the gun trade that they will ban the sale of PCPs if they are not made more difficult to adjust the power on (anti-tamper). A curious situation is now developing where we are all liable under law to keep our rifles legal but have no means at our disposal to adjust them. Unless of course we ship the rifle back to the manufacturer/importer.

:cuss2:
Daystate Air Wolf, Mk3, Mk4is, Huntsman Classic, Huntsman Shadow and a Harrier

petrosp

Thanks Paul

Postby petrosp » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:04 am

Paul,

Thanks for the great guide mate!

Petros

Lykoris
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Lykoris » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:55 pm

pod wrote:Great stuff Paul.

Its really frustrating as under our laws, a non FAC (sub 12ftlbs) air rifle must always remain below 12 ftlbs

it could be worse, here you need an FAC for everything and anything, even a .01fpe bb gun :shock:

plus you guys have some of the most liberal hunting laws in Europe, so it's not all bad.

you'll notice the allen keys I used were the ones you sent me out :cool: thanks again for those :mosh:

I hope nobody in the UK decides to use it to put a non-FAC rifle above the 12fpe limit because it would be silly, I'm guessing on a 12fpe version the transfer port is a lot smaller and the gain would be probably single digit 1-5fpe max. A 5 year jail sentence is nothing to laugh at nor the prospect of never being able to get an FAC.

If you want FAC power in the UK, I'd strongly suggest filling out the paperwork - it's a real pain the a$$ but once you have it you have it and everything is legal and above board...until you put in for a .50cal variation :p'n'l:

All the best,
Paul

williamN
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby williamN » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:28 pm

On my X2 to adjust the hammer spring tension ( everything looks like your pictures )

1) remove action from stock

2) COCK rifle

3) After rifle is cocked you can see the set-screw in the hole in front of the trigger guard. Loosen set screw.

4) Using a LONG #3 hex wrench you can get to the hammer spring tension screw thru the hole in the middle of the saftey/end cap.

Norseman
Marksman
Marksman

Postby Norseman » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:17 am

Very nice post, Lykoris! Just a question - how do you remove the barrel from the chamber? Was going to clean the barrel of my AR yesterday, but was not able to get it out of the chamber, even after remowing the scrues (2 pcs) on top of the chamber pointing down to the barrel.
Just shooting cleaning pellets is not good enough...

pcole
Marksman
Marksman

Postby pcole » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 am

You will have to heat up the reciever where the barrell is to loosen the very strong loctite they use then it will slide out with no issues.

Lykoris
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

Postby Lykoris » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:03 am

pcole wrote:heat up the reciever where the barrell is to loosen the very strong loctite they use then it will slide out with no issues.

what he said :D

Why do you want to remove the barrel from the receiver for cleaning?

Since you've taken the power down is your AR grouping, think you had the same problem as me it was like a scatter gun as it was too powerful for the lead pellets.

I'm very happy with mine now :mosh:

Regards,
Paul

Return to “The Technical Corner”