AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index AirgunAdvice.net
All airguns, All the time

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Phoogle MapPhoogle Map   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Support Our Site
click image to see designs
Support the site by buying one of our great T-Shirts !!
They are only $24.95 plus shipping.

Choose a size:
Daystate air ranger tuning power
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> The Technical Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lykoris
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

City, State: Luxembourg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Daystate air ranger tuning power Reply with quote

this won't increase your air ranger dramatically in power but it can be handy to adjust into a smaller specific power range, my AR80 is tuned to 60fpe. I cut the coils of the main spring of the AR80 to drop it significantly(cut the coils as small as you can) and then played with this to fine tune.

the variation between the hammer striker being fully extended(to within 3/4 threads) and being fully retracted was 8-9fpe from memory...nothing dramatic.

If you are happy with your AR, I advise not to touch it and leave it alone.

I had to do mine as at 80fpe(version I bought) it was simply too much power for the .25 30.7grain extra heavy barracuda and putting the barrel back on with equal pressure on all 6 screws and the band without drooping or putting undue tension on one part is a real PITA.

I would also warn that the screw threads are easily worn so with all those cautions, proceed at your own risk, if you screw up your rifle don't come running to me.

one air ranger

1/16 allen key to remove the three screws on barrel band, either side of band and underneath ( I leave the band on as it's easier to support the barrel when removing the 6 screws below)

be sure not to misplace one of them as they are minuscule

remove the 6 screws - left to right I used a torx10/flathead/2.5mm allen key - the threads are easily worn so take your time, these might not be the right ones for 'new' screws, mine are badly worn and looked for the best fit to avoid further stress...I guess they are aluminium.

remove barrel and barrel band

remove the stock - 3/16allen key

down to this

2 screws to remove from either side, 1/16allen key, be sure to hold it tightly as it's under spring tension

this needs to be removed to get to the hammer striker - 3/32 allen key

when you put this back into the rifle when you reassemble you will need to pull the trigger to allow it slide back in.

unscrew this to allow the adjustment of the hammer striker 5/64 allen key

1/8 allen key to adjust the hammer striker

power increase, move hammer striker in.

power decrease, move hammer striker out as can be seen below I've moved it out 2/3 threads just to illustrate.

measurements I'd been asked about before

Not up to Stuart's quality but it gives those that had asked me this a better idea.

Regards,
Paul
220swift
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

City, State: Nevada County,Calif USA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice
thanks for sharing and taking the time to put together

Swift Mosh Mosh Mosh
custom parts made to order
swiftairgunparts@sbcglobal.net
dirtdawg2
Basic Practical
Basic Practical

City, State: Ex-Sunnyvale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

This should be in the DOC...but those blokes would neva have it Very Happy
pod
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Reading, England

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff Paul.

Unfortunately we couldn't have this on the DOC as our laws (and potential laws) are so strict Sad

Its pretty much the same on all UK forums - power adjustment details are not readily available.

Its really frustrating as under our laws, a non FAC (sub 12ftlbs) air rifle must always remain below 12 ftlbs and it is the owners responsibility to keep it so. And there is no defence in law. Yet we are restricted on posting details on helping people keep below the limit, as there will always be a handful of people who will use the info to put their rifles above the limit.

My understanding is that the UK 'government' have already advised the gun trade that they will ban the sale of PCPs if they are not made more difficult to adjust the power on (anti-tamper). A curious situation is now developing where we are all liable under law to keep our rifles legal but have no means at our disposal to adjust them. Unless of course we ship the rifle back to the manufacturer/importer.

Cussing 2
petrosp

City, State: London

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Paul Reply with quote

Paul,

Thanks for the great guide mate!

Petros
Lykoris
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pod wrote:
Great stuff Paul.

Its really frustrating as under our laws, a non FAC (sub 12ftlbs) air rifle must always remain below 12 ftlbs

it could be worse, here you need an FAC for everything and anything, even a .01fpe bb gun Shocked

plus you guys have some of the most liberal hunting laws in Europe, so it's not all bad.

you'll notice the allen keys I used were the ones you sent me out Cool thanks again for those Mosh

I hope nobody in the UK decides to use it to put a non-FAC rifle above the 12fpe limit because it would be silly, I'm guessing on a 12fpe version the transfer port is a lot smaller and the gain would be probably single digit 1-5fpe max. A 5 year jail sentence is nothing to laugh at nor the prospect of never being able to get an FAC.

If you want FAC power in the UK, I'd strongly suggest filling out the paperwork - it's a real pain the a$$ but once you have it you have it and everything is legal and above board...until you put in for a .50cal variation Point And Laugh

All the best,
Paul
williamN
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

City, State: VA.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my X2 to adjust the hammer spring tension ( everything looks like your pictures )

1) remove action from stock

2) COCK rifle

3) After rifle is cocked you can see the set-screw in the hole in front of the trigger guard. Loosen set screw.

4) Using a LONG #3 hex wrench you can get to the hammer spring tension screw thru the hole in the middle of the saftey/end cap.
Norseman
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Oslo, Norway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice post, Lykoris! Just a question - how do you remove the barrel from the chamber? Was going to clean the barrel of my AR yesterday, but was not able to get it out of the chamber, even after remowing the scrues (2 pcs) on top of the chamber pointing down to the barrel.
Just shooting cleaning pellets is not good enough...
pcole
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Tyler Tx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to heat up the reciever where the barrell is to loosen the very strong loctite they use then it will slide out with no issues.
Lykoris
Sharpshooter
Sharpshooter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcole wrote:
heat up the reciever where the barrell is to loosen the very strong loctite they use then it will slide out with no issues.

what he said Very Happy

Why do you want to remove the barrel from the receiver for cleaning?

Since you've taken the power down is your AR grouping, think you had the same problem as me it was like a scatter gun as it was too powerful for the lead pellets.

I'm very happy with mine now Mosh

Regards,
Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> The Technical Corner All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: