AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index AirgunAdvice.net
All airguns, All the time

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  Phoogle MapPhoogle Map   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Support Our Site
click image to see designs
Support the site by buying one of our great T-Shirts !!
They are only $24.95 plus shipping.

Choose a size:
Best Hunting Air Rifle Available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> The Hunting Lodge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngliaUSA
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Valencia,CA 91355

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Falcon with a skeleton Stock is lighter but Reply with quote

for overall robustness in the field my vote would still go to the Royale.
Just my 2c worth
BSA Lightning XL tactical .25
Norseman
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Oslo, Norway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want the best air rifle for air gun hunting with .22 cal barrels, go for Weihrauch HW100 (27 FP) or Daystate Air Ranger (40 FP).

My experience is that .25 cal might be a better choice for air gun hunting, and than the FX Royale 500 or the BSA Lonestar would be good alternatives. The Lonestar does not have any magazine, but with .25 cal pellets the need for a follow up shot is seldom there! The Daystate Air Ranger .25 cal is too powerful for any precision shooting, and my two ones are tuned down to 50 and 70 FP.

I have tried all rifles, except the Royale 500, but I have a FX2000 .22 cal in my collection and that is a great hunting tool!
libertyman777
Expert
Expert

City, State: Heflin, AL

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned and shot many.

You will not go wrong with Rapids, Air Arms, Air Force, etc. All are fine choices and carbines are the best to hunt with.

But I have two ultimate rifles that are worthy of consideration. Both are currently only available used and are very popular.

First is the Edgun Matador in .22. There is not a better hunting rifle out there. Some folks bemoan the fact that it's a single shot, but I haven't needed more than one shot to date. Dead on accurate. Well over 50 shots at 30 fpe. Easily adjustable to tune for your particular pellet weight and very easy to work on. Very compact bullpup design with a very good trigger. Lot's of info on youtube. I'm currently running a Matador right now and LOVE the rifle. It is superb.

The second ultimate hunting rifle is the Walther LG 300 Dominator. It's rifle length and also single shot. Mine was a .177 that was tuned to run JSB heavies at 17 fpe for field target. It was might be the most accurate rifle I've ever shot.

Both the Edgun and Dominator will handle your accuracy requirements
though. If the Edgun edges out the Domi it will be because of the better performing pellet at longer ranges I"m sure.

If you want to find something available right away, look for an AZ tuned rifle. It will be very quiet and run well.

If you want to have something to shoot and hunt with for a while and wait till you find what you're looking for, the get a AA S400 or 410 carbine or a Air Force Condor shrouded by Tony at Talon Tunes.

Lot's of good choices out there. If you're like me, you'll probably try several anyway. I love my Edgun and I'm keeping it but I do miss the Dominator. I wish I could have afforded both.

Good luck and God Bless!

Paul

R&L Talon Stubby

HW100T

HW97K

CZ 200

birdshooter1
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Islamabad,Pakistan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RWS 350 MAGNUM .22 does the job quite perfectly for me.
Ambush Hunter
Expert
Expert

City, State: TX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Best Hunting Air Rifle Available Reply with quote

Cernhutch wrote:
I am in America, I am not interested in getting some BATF permit for a silencer to fit my air rifle.

Huh? What having or not having a permit have to do with America?

By the way, there is no such thing as "best." Pretty subjective as 10 guys will have 10 different rifles to recommend. What was "best" for one few years ago, may not be the "best" today. Besides, one doesn't need a closet full of rifles to give you a pleasant suggestion as some closets are full of Chinese and Turkish junk. Bottle Of Beer
Cernhutch
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Gainesville, Fl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am in America" means I live in America. That also means I do not live in other countries where silencers or moderators are available over the counter at the corner sporting goods store. Here (America) the question of 'silencers' gets to be difficult unless you want to register with the BATF and pay a hefty price to 'legally' own a sound suppression device for your rifle.
Ambush Hunter
Expert
Expert

City, State: TX

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cernhutch wrote:
Here (America) the question of 'silencers' gets to be difficult unless you want to register with the BATF and pay a hefty price to 'legally' own a sound suppression device for your rifle.

First of all, I won't consider a $200 transfer fee a "hefty" price...unless of course you plan to purchase several devices...then it is indeed hefty.

And second, why not just buy a rifle with a moderator/shroud already built-in; AA S-410/510, Daystate AW, some of the FX guns...just to name a few...? "Problem" solved.

You said, mouse fart quiet is a must, well, the closest you will ever come to this is if you go either custom route or get a real suppressor. It is what it is......
ajplum
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: Maui, HI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Allen Zasadny, tell him to build it! It saved Me lots of $$$ when I got started!
.177 HW 50S Rob Hawkins Hunter tune 800 fps Smile
SASS member & God bless the NRA! Mosh
wcalil

City, State: SP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO Edgun Matador .22 bullup, best hunting rifle ever. Too bad I can't find one here in Brazil!
howie
Marksman
Marksman

City, State: New South Wales Australia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, have you decided on a particular firearm as yet???????????

I am also looking for the perfect hunting firearm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AirgunAdvice.net Forum Index -> The Hunting Lodge All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: